Greenethorpe is a purpose-built village, established in 1908 to house share farmers who worked on “landra”, the nearby pastoral estate owned by George Henry Greene. The village itself was based on the English manorial system, and is the only known settlement of its kind in Australia.
Commissioned in 1935 and opening in 1936, the Bank of NSW building in Greenethorpe is on the National Institute of Architects Register of significant buildings in Australia. It was designed by SA Neave in 1935. Tenders were called in March 1936 and the building was opened in October 1936.
CIRCA 1935 is a rare example of the inter-war Georgian Revival style of architecture. It is the only building of this style and the only bank with attached manager's residence in Weddin Shire.
CIRCA 1935 was purchased by the present owner in late 2015 and has been lovingly restored to its former glory. It features 12 foot ceilings, cedar doors, architraves and picture rails, original fireplaces and mantels, and many of the original light fittings.
It now houses the village Post Office, an upmarket Cafe full of original features and period furniture, and a small Guest House.